KDE/4.11 branched what to do with kde-workspace?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Jul 15 09:46:49 BST 2013

On Friday, July 12, 2013 17:48:50 David Jarvie wrote:
> On Fri, July 12, 2013 4:42 pm, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > * there were 2 main reasons the branched-kdelibs shifted back to master-
> >
> > kdelibis:
> > 	* people were too stubborn and too (willfully) uninformed to understand
> >
> > why this was a useful thing and just kept pelting it with stop energy at
> > every possible opportunity.
>
> That's unnecessarily negative - why do you think that people would
> willfully remain uninformed?

I don’t known the why, I just saw the discussions and they were too often
characterized by stubborness and a lack  of informed opinion.

> Much more likely is that they would be
> innocently uninformed due to not having seen announcements. Even for

After having been pointed personally to the relevant materials, that’s no
longer an excuse :)

I’m certainly not suggesting everyone was this way. It was certainly a
minority; but there were enough who were, and enough people who accommodated
their stop energy.

My point was not that *everyone* is stubborn or willfully uninformed, but that
the flip flopping of strategies for kdelibs branches had a lot to do with those
who were combined with the development requiring an extended period of time.

It had very little (if anything) to do with the technical merits of the plan.
So looking at it as somehow being a relevant reflection of that doesn’t make
much sense.

> best of intentions) for old habits to take over and to accidentally use
> master again. This happened to me more than once.

So  how can we make that clearer for people and hard for this sort of mistake
to be made?

Here’s a possible idea: we could make the build fail (along with a relevant
message on console) unless a specific env var or a cmake option is passed. If
it doesn’t build, you probably won’t end up using it, and hopefullya build
failure gets noticed.

> > Example given: Build-tool failed to follow the repository switch of amarok
> > (it was announced. i
> > missed it because of being very busy) and continued to build the old stuff
> > for months without problems.
>
> I agree. I'm sure that this must have caught out innocent people more
> often than willful miscreants.

Which is why we have projects.kde.org with the projects xml file which allows
tools to track these movements.

When we identify situations where we get caught out, we can look for ways to
minimize the chances for that happening in future.

--
Aaron J. Seigo