KDE/4.11 branched what to do with kde-workspace?

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Fri Jul 12 17:48:50 BST 2013

On Fri, July 12, 2013 4:42 pm, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> * there were 2 main reasons the branched-kdelibs shifted back to master-
> kdelibis:
> 	* people were too stubborn and too (willfully) uninformed to understand
> why this was a useful thing and just kept pelting it with stop energy at
> every possible opportunity.

That's unnecessarily negative - why do you think that people would
willfully remain uninformed? Much more likely is that they would be
innocently uninformed due to not having seen announcements. Even for
people who saw the announcements, it's still all too easy (even with the
best of intentions) for old habits to take over and to accidentally use
master again. This happened to me more than once.

On Fri, July 12, 2013 5:08 pm, Michael Jansen wrote:
> On Friday, July 12, 2013 05:52:02 PM Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>> On Wednesday, July 10, 2013 15:34:43 Michael Jansen wrote:
>> > Because of that it should be announced. BIG TIME. I am not hopeful
>> because
>>
>> agreed. so what i'd like to see is a definitive listing of all the
>> places
>> that this should be announced and in what form. since i've gotten this
>> wrong enough times in the past, i'd appreciate a listing of:
>>
>> * email lists to send an announcement to
>> * blogs and forums that should get a posting
>> * which web sites should be targeted for articles
>>
>> along with a suggested re-posting frequenc for each.
>>
>> i've tried numerous combinations in the past, and innevitably someone
>> in
>> this very community complains about not having heard about it. so if the
>> people in the community can offer some direction, i'm happy to oblige
>> and make sure all the suggested bases are covered.
>
> I personally think there is no combination that will ever work. We have to
> many part time
> developers and people with limited resources. And all channels we
> currently use have to many
> content so its impossible to catch up after being away for some bigger
> time. Both Mailing lists and planet kde i mean.
>
> I guess we need a dedicated channel for these announcements. Either a
> smaller blog aggregator
> / dedicated blog or use a dedicated mailing list for that stuff. But i
> fear it will never be enough.
> There are to many people involved that don't know all processes we agree
> upon. I am quite sure the core devs will do it mostly right.
>
> That's why i would prefer convention over announcement. Don't break the
> expectations of your
> users. Don't go away from processes that people learned to take for
> granted unless there is a
> VERY good reason. Especially if nothing breaks for those thinking the old
> process is still valid.
>
> Example given: Build-tool failed to follow the repository switch of amarok
> (it was announced. i
> missed it because of being very busy) and continued to build the old stuff
> for months without problems.

I agree. I'm sure that this must have caught out innocent people more
often than willful miscreants.

--
David Jarvie.
KDE developer.