KDE/4.11 branched what to do with kde-workspace?

Michael Jansen info at michael-jansen.biz
Fri Jul 12 17:08:30 BST 2013

On Friday, July 12, 2013 05:52:02 PM Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 10, 2013 15:34:43 Michael Jansen wrote:
> > Because of that it should be announced. BIG TIME. I am not hopeful because
>
> agreed. so what i’d like to see is a definitive listing of all the places
> that this should be announced and in what form. since i’ve gotten this
> wrong enough times in the past, i’d appreciate a listing of:
>
> * email lists to send an announcement to
> * blogs and forums that should get a posting
> * which web sites should be targeted for articles
>
> along with a suggested re-posting frequenc for each.
>
> i’ve tried numerous combinations in the past, and innevitably someone in
> this very community complains about not having heard about it. so if the
> people in the community can offer some direction, i’m happy to oblige and
> make sure all the suggested bases are covered.

I personally think there is no combination that will ever work. We have to many part time
developers and people with limited resources. And all channels we currently use have to many
content so its impossible to catch up after being away for some bigger time. Both Mailing lists
and planet kde i mean.

I guess we need a dedicated channel for these announcements. Either a smaller blog aggregator
/ dedicated blog or use a dedicated mailing list for that stuff. But i fear it will never be enough.
There are to many people involved that don't know all processes we agree upon. I am quite sure
the core devs will do it mostly right.

That's why i would prefer convention over announcement. Don't break the expectations of your
users. Don't go away from processes that people learned to take for granted unless there is a
VERY good reason. Especially if nothing breaks for those thinking the old process is still valid.

Example given: Build-tool failed to follow the repository switch of amarok (it was announced. i
missed it because of being very busy) and continued to build the old stuff for months without
problems.

Mike

--
Michael Jansen