KDE/4.11 branched what to do with kde-workspace?

Frank Reininghaus frank78ac at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 11 11:37:39 BST 2013

Hi,

2013/7/11 Sebastian Kügler:
> Hi,
>
> On Tuesday, July 09, 2013 23:45:39 Martin Graesslin wrote:
>> On Tuesday 09 July 2013 18:57:41 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
>> > So the kde-workspace dudes decided they don't want a 4.12 release and that
>> > they'll do a LTS 4.11, fine, how do we fix that branch wise?
>>
>> I don't see how that affects branching.
>> * 4.11 is branched from master
>> * master is opened for feature development and will lead to Plasma
>> Workspaces  2 (or whatever the release will be called in the end).
>>
>> If someone wants to do a 4.12 release from kde-workspace module it can be
>> branched from the 4.11 branch.
>
> I'd be in favor of moving master to Qt5/Frameworks5 soonish:
>
> - I don't want to have to keep track of merging between 3 branches, 2 is
>   really enough
> - kde-workspace developers have decided to move onto Frameworks5 after 4.11 is
>   out, using master for this is natural
>
> This means that, just like with kdelibs, you should use the KDE/4.11 branch if
> you want to build "the current version" from git.
>
> Likewise, it would probably make sense to merge frameworks into kdelibs master
> as well. That's a discussion that can be had here at Akademy.

Merging frameworks into master in kdelibs has the following
disadvantages from my point of view (besides the "makes it harder for
people who are used to build the master branch of all KDE modules"
issue):

1. This makes it impossible to commit any non-trivial bug fixes (those
that look like they should at least a bit of wide testing in betas/RCs
before being pushed to users in a stable release) to kdelibs for KDE
4.x.

2. There will be some confusion concerning the "KDE version", i.e.,
KDE_VERSION_STRING. If both 4.11.x and 4.12 beta releases (AFAIU,
nobody has suggested to not release KDE SC 4.12 yet) are made from the
same branch, what should the version in that branch be?

Moreover, it is my understanding that the contents of
kdelibs/frameworks are going to be split into lots of new repositories
anyway. So why would we want to move the master branch of the
soon-to-be-abandoned kdelibs repository to framworks/Qt 5 at all?

Cheers,
Frank