KDE/4.11 branched what to do with kde-workspace?

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Jul 11 10:55:54 BST 2013

Hi,

On Tuesday, July 09, 2013 23:45:39 Martin Graesslin wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 July 2013 18:57:41 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > So the kde-workspace dudes decided they don't want a 4.12 release and that
> > they'll do a LTS 4.11, fine, how do we fix that branch wise?
>
> I don't see how that affects branching.
> * 4.11 is branched from master
> * master is opened for feature development and will lead to Plasma
> Workspaces  2 (or whatever the release will be called in the end).
>
> If someone wants to do a 4.12 release from kde-workspace module it can be
> branched from the 4.11 branch.

I'd be in favor of moving master to Qt5/Frameworks5 soonish:

- I don't want to have to keep track of merging between 3 branches, 2 is
  really enough
- kde-workspace developers have decided to move onto Frameworks5 after 4.11 is
  out, using master for this is natural

This means that, just like with kdelibs, you should use the KDE/4.11 branch if
you want to build "the current version" from git.

Likewise, it would probably make sense to merge frameworks into kdelibs master
as well. That's a discussion that can be had here at Akademy.

I can announce this change "BIG TIME", so people know what we're up to.

Cheers,
--
sebas