plasma and new shadow mess

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Jan 6 15:37:47 GMT 2013

On Sunday, January 6, 2013 13:35:16 Martin Graesslin wrote:
> On Monday 24 December 2012 17:12:22 Weng Xuetian wrote:
> > I think some action need to be taken before the release, some possible
> > solutions.
> > 1. Revert the changes of new plasma air theme, so old shadow can be used.
> > and try to fix all the things in KDE 4.11
>
> Personal opinion: the change should be reverted, as:
> a) it was basically a break of public API (yes even if it is not considered
> public API, the fact that everybody used it, makes it public API)

it is not a break of API since it isn't API at all. hyperbole helps nothing,
so let's not go down that road.

> b) there is no need for a break now with KF 5 in front of us, we could have
> used that to do the break

most changes are indeed being held for libplasma2 et al. however, as this
affected presentation of existing UI in 4.x, i decided to fix it rather than
continue with the existing shadow hacks.

> c) it causes unnecessary work for everybody

the change was not done randomly. it puts the shadow drawing where it properly
belongs and thereby lets the window be handled correctly with the visual edges
(e.g. minus the shadows) being the actual edges of the window.

as the change was done for a reason, the work it caused was not without reason
either. ergo, not unnecessary.

> > or 2. get some header exposed to avoid duplication of the code, and fixed
> > every custom widget, at least including: kwin, kmix, powerdevil,
> > icontasks.
>
> at least for KWin I will *not* accept a fix for 4.10. It's too late in the
> cycle, it cannot be exposed to user testing any more. I rather have a visual
> regression than the risk of breakage.

so instead of using tested code, you'd prefer a regression visible to the
user. this doesn't make much sense to me.

truth is that it requires a small amount of work applied to a few areas in the
code. if we want to hold those changes until 4.10.1, that's fine with me.

btw, these changes were made in mid-November of 2012. i'm a little surprised
people are only noticing now.

--
Aaron J. Seigo