plasma and new shadow mess

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sun Jan 6 12:35:16 GMT 2013

On Monday 24 December 2012 17:12:22 Weng Xuetian wrote:
> I think some action need to be taken before the release, some possible
> solutions.
> 1. Revert the changes of new plasma air theme, so old shadow can be used.
> and try to fix all the things in KDE 4.11
Personal opinion: the change should be reverted, as:
a) it was basically a break of public API (yes even if it is not considered
public API, the fact that everybody used it, makes it public API)
b) there is no need for a break now with KF 5 in front of us, we could have
used that to do the break
c) it causes unnecessary work for everybody
> or 2. get some header exposed to avoid duplication of the code, and fixed
> every custom widget, at least including: kwin, kmix, powerdevil, icontasks.
at least for KWin I will *not* accept a fix for 4.10. It's too late in the
cycle, it cannot be exposed to user testing any more. I rather have a visual
regression than the risk of breakage.

I would also encourage to not risk anything with the other components which
are affected, that late in the cycle.

I must say that I am a little bit disappointed by the mess this introduced. It
should have been noticed that this breaks even the Plasma styled dialogs of
the application which is responsible for rendering the shadows.

Best Regards
Martin Gräßn