Moving Baloo and Baloo-widgets into KDE SC

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Wed Dec 25 20:06:56 GMT 2013

On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 11:32 PM, Thomas Lübking
<thomas.luebking at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dienstag, 24. Dezember 2013 22:03:28 CEST, Àlex Fiestas wrote:
>>
>> On Tuesday 24 December 2013 21:25:37 Ivan Čukić wrote:
>

> The point is, that you virtually cannot make a release that breaks half the
> former nepomuk clients.
> You'd get thousands of bug reports about "feature x in application y
> broken/not available" all over the place.
>but in general we stick with nepomuk until P-W/2.

With the planned slow transition of apps from kdelibs4 to frameworks
we are going to have a point where we have apps on either side.
I expect Dolphin to port very soon, KMail isn't planned for a long
time as KDE PIM libs are to be split.

Waiting for Plasma 2 will still result in exactly the same situation
that you want to avoid. Some apps wanting to use nepomuk others using
baloo. That will either result in some apps not having all their
functionality or having two indexers/data stores which is also bad.

IMHO the safest course of action is to port everything to baloo before
they start being frozen for moving KF5. Then we can have kdelibs4 and
KF5 apps both using baloo without any runtime problems.

> This is not about the quality or sheer sanity advance of Baloo, but the bare
> necessities (yes ;-) of release management.
>
> Albert will unleash Shir Khan if we f*** the (for workspace: "minor")
> release - or just revert breaking commits =)

The point of the rules is to make sure we don't break the user
experience worse, and they are good rules with good reason.
However, if the rules prevent us from making the user experience in
general better then we should allow exceptions.

David