Moving Baloo and Baloo-widgets into KDE SC

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Tue Dec 24 22:32:27 GMT 2013

On Dienstag, 24. Dezember 2013 22:03:28 CEST, Àlex Fiestas wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 December 2013 21:25:37 Ivan Čukić wrote:

>> I would like baloo to be available in 4.x, with no API
>> stability guarantees, ...

> As I see it, the nepomuk maintainer says it works better than
> Nepomuk for all
> cases covered by SC. I don't see any reason not to move forward then.

Since actual ABI is not affected (in terms of "things start to crash"), you /can/ do whatever you want, but it still has consequences.

The point is, that you virtually cannot make a release that breaks half the former nepomuk clients.
You'd get thousands of bug reports about "feature x in application y broken/not available" all over the place.

So either nepomuk and baloo can run (and sync) side by side or there eventually needs to be some sort of API wrapper and a very LOUD heads-up! to distros to relink everything that's not been ported, so to have baloo *completely* replace nepomuk - or baloo can still be added to allow devs migrate to it, but in general we stick with nepomuk until P-W/2.

This is not about the quality or sheer sanity advance of Baloo, but the bare necessities (yes ;-) of release management.

Albert will unleash Shir Khan if we f*** the (for workspace: "minor") release - or just revert breaking commits =)

Cheers,
Thomas

(To leave no question: the sooner virtuoso leaves my desktop system, the better)