Nepomuk Metadata Extractor moved to KDE Review

Jörg Ehrichs Joerg.Ehrichs at gmx.de
Tue Nov 6 10:19:26 GMT 2012

Hi Sebastian,

2012/10/31 Sebastian Kügler <sebas at kde.org>

> > But I assume this is something the packagers have to split.
>
> That would be almost making sure that it will hit users. In general, never
> assume something's going to be fixed by packagers, they, too, need
> something
> that can just be slapped into a package, and which should behave well by
> default. :/

I've changed the way the background service works now.

First:
If the servcie is started the first time (which happens automatically when
it is installed)
It will disable itself and also alter the restart-on-reboot nepomuk config
file.

This means, if the user really wants to have automatic fetching, he needs
to enable it in the config on its own and noone is
forced to expose their private data/file on their disk if they do not want
it (or if they are not aware of it)

Second:
The automatic fetcher can be limited to a specific resource type. This
means, it can be enabled for video and/or music only while
the private documents are not looked up. In this case the user must use the
manual extarctor gui if he really wants soem documents
to be looked up.

In the default configuration, the document lookup is disabled.

Third:
It is now possible to search for the preferred plugin only. Beforehand, all
availabe plugins would be used,
this is not the default case anymore, but can be enabled again.

This should hopefully be enough privacy settings and don't leave any user
with a system that does not do what he expects.

Cheers,
Jörg