Nepomuk Metadata Extractor moved to KDE Review

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Nov 6 20:32:28 GMT 2012

Hi Jörg,

On Tuesday, November 06, 2012 11:19:26 Jörg Ehrichs wrote:
> 2012/10/31 Sebastian Kügler <sebas at kde.org>
>
> > But I assume this is something the packagers have to split.
>
> That would be almost making sure that it will hit users. In general, never
> assume something's going to be fixed by packagers, they, too, need something
> that can just be slapped into a package, and which should behave well by
> default. :/
>
> I've changed the way the background service works now.
>
> First:
> If the servcie is started the first time (which happens automatically when
> it is installed) It will disable itself and also alter the
> restart-on-reboot nepomuk config file.

Not sure I get it, what's the use of this? You assume "user installs it -> is
fine with requesting metadata for files from online sources", I think. I'm not
sure what changes between the first and the second run, however.

> This means, if the user really wants to have automatic fetching, he needs to
> enable it in the config on its own and noone is forced to expose their
> private data/file on their disk if they do not want it (or if they are not
> aware of it)

Maybe after first installation, it makes sense to actually ask the user. I'm
usually not a huge fan for this, but in the case of possible inadvertend
privacy breach, it's warranted to be proactive here. I could imagine:

At first run popup comes up, "You've installed online metadata extraction. It
will collect additional metadata from the web (such as ... and ...), but it
can reveal files on your disk to third parties. Only enable this for file
types that do not affect your privacy. If in doubt, disable it. (Links to
config, metadata extraction should probably have a separate page in the
Nepomuk KCM.)

> Second:
> The automatic fetcher can be limited to a specific resource type. This
> means, it can be enabled for video and/or music only while the private
> documents are not looked up. In this case the user must use the manual
> extarctor gui if he really wants soem documents to be looked up.

I think that makes a lot of sense. Good idea!

> In the default configuration, the document lookup is disabled.

Makes sense, lookup for music and video is enabled by default, I suppose?

> Third:
> It is now possible to search for the preferred plugin only. Beforehand, all
> availabe plugins would be used, this is not the default case anymore, but
> can be enabled again.

What's the preferred plugin? Is that a plugin for a specific service, a
specific resource type, or ...?

> This should hopefully be enough privacy settings and don't leave any user
> with a system that does not do what he expects.

Is there any UI for this?

I think this is a very cool feature, and has the possibility to make Nepomuk
really shine. Your work on it is much appreciated!

Cheers,
--
sebas