Review request: moving libkgoogle to extragear

Dan Vratil dan at progdan.cz
Sun May 27 11:29:57 BST 2012

On Saturday 26 of May 2012 19:20:04 John Layt wrote:
> On Saturday 26 May 2012 00:47:04 Dan Vratil wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > LibKGoogle is a new optional dependency of kdepim-runtime. It's used by
> > the
> > new Akonadi Google resources.
> >
> > It's now in kdereview [0] and I'd like to move it to extragear, so I'm
> > asking for a review on the library.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Dan
> >
> > [0] https://projects.kde.org/projects/kdereview/libkgoogle/repository
>
> I'm no lawyer, but I suspect calling it libkgoogle may fall foul of Google's
> trademark policies.  See http://www.google.com/permissions/index.html.  You
> may need to give the library and repo a different name.

Hmm, can really just the word "google" be considered a TM? Is there any kde-
legal team (or just anyone who know how this works) that could shed a bit of a
light on this?

> It also sounds too
> generic, like it includes all Google's services including search and maps,

The loooongterm plan is to add support for other APIs, not just the PIM stuff
(that's why I didn't want to integrate the lib to kdepimlibs).

The most imminent plans are for support of Reader, GDrive and Latitude APIs.

> when it is only the Akonadi resource for PIM stuff.

Ee :) The resources are already in kdepim-runtime, this is just a library to
interface with G's API.

> But otherwise great work (not that I've reviewed the code) :-)

Thanks :)

--
Dan Vratil
www.progdan.cz | dan at progdan.cz | Jabber: progdan at jabber.cz
Fingerprint: 76C9 2F08 5D0D 6F9E 5AD4 2BFD 3A85 0307 F506 5B61