KDE mailing lists - a few questions

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Tue May 22 08:48:49 BST 2012

Hi everyone,

a  quality discussion on IRC this morning triggered a few question I
think are best addressed to this list.

1. I don't question that KDE has several groups that need a mailing
list with a private archive, only accessible to subscribers, but what
is the reason to make mailing lists hidden? The KDE Community is about
Free Software after all, so why this unnecessary secrecy?

akademy-announce
akademy-participant
akademy-registrations
akademy-sponsoring
akademy-talks
akademy-team
amarok-committee
amarok-devel
campkde-organizers
community-wg
dot-editors
ds-announce
ds-discuss
ds-marketing
ds-sponsoring
ds-talks
ds-team
grancanaria
k16
kde-apps-org
kde-connect-team
kde-debian-private
kde-enterprise-web
kde-ev-campaign
kde-ev-hiring
kde-ev-membership
kde-events-au
kde-hci
kde-mirrors
kde-packager
kde-pim-meeting
kde-pr
kde-press-announce
kde-soc-mentor
kde-webmaster
khtml-devel
koffice
konq-bugs
kontact
mailman

2. There are quite a few mailing lists that are dead, either because
those are obsolete or were never used. IMHO the never used ones should
be removed ASAP, for the obsolete ones the archives can be preserved
but the list closed and that should be visible from the description.
Hiding dead or obsolete lists is not a good solution IMHO.

I suggest a deadline for the dead mailing lists to be closed, how
about in a month or so?

3. There are still mailing lists with no description. Why does it have
to be so cryptic? Again, this is not questioning about the privacy of
a list, but a description should be at least available.

Regards, Myriam.

http://www.fsfe.org