KDE mailing lists - a few questions

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Tue May 22 08:54:36 BST 2012

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 9:48 AM, Myriam Schweingruber <myriam at kde.org> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> a  quality discussion on IRC this morning triggered a few question I
> think are best addressed to this list.
>
> 1. I don't question that KDE has several groups that need a mailing
> list with a private archive, only accessible to subscribers, but what
> is the reason to make mailing lists hidden? The KDE Community is about
> Free Software after all, so why this unnecessary secrecy?

> akademy-announce
> akademy-participant
> akademy-registrations
> akademy-sponsoring
> akademy-talks
> akademy-team
> amarok-committee
> amarok-devel
> campkde-organizers
> community-wg
> dot-editors
> ds-announce
> ds-discuss
> ds-marketing
> ds-sponsoring
> ds-talks
> ds-team
> grancanaria
> k16
> kde-apps-org
> kde-connect-team
> kde-debian-private
> kde-enterprise-web
> kde-ev-campaign
> kde-ev-hiring
> kde-ev-membership
> kde-events-au
> kde-hci
> kde-mirrors
> kde-packager
> kde-pim-meeting
> kde-pr
> kde-press-announce
> kde-soc-mentor
> kde-webmaster
> khtml-devel
> koffice
> konq-bugs
> kontact
> mailman
>
> 2. There are quite a few mailing lists that are dead, either because
> those are obsolete or were never used. IMHO the never used ones should
> be removed ASAP, for the obsolete ones the archives can be preserved
> but the list closed and that should be visible from the description.
> Hiding dead or obsolete lists is not a good solution IMHO.
>
> I suggest a deadline for the dead mailing lists to be closed, how
> about in a month or so?
>
> 3. There are still mailing lists with no description. Why does it have
> to be so cryptic? Again, this is not questioning about the privacy of
> a list, but a description should be at least available.
>

> Regards, Myriam.

What is the criteria for a mailing list being "dead"?

Another issue: are mailing lists the proper way to be distributing
bugzilla notifications, or should those be handled by subscriptions
inside bugzilla?  From the discussions I have seen the latter is
supposed to be the preferred method, but a bunch of mailing lists are
still being used for bugzilla notifications.

-Todd