DrKonqi improvement idea

Teemu Rytilahti tpr at iki.fi
Mon Mar 12 20:59:22 GMT 2012

Niko Sams wrote:

> Interesting. But no system provides a "solution" I think.
> Socorro looks very powerful - but they need to process much more
> crashes.

Actually at least Microsoft does, not sure about the others. Not sure how
much is it used though, but the system has a capability to give an url where
to get more information and instructions, or even provide a link to a new
binary where the problem is fixed.

>> - If there would be a separate crash-site, could it be worth
>> to allow crash
>> reports without login?
> Maybe. But I would say we need the email address of the user to contact
> him back.

Yup, depends really on how much can be mined if there'd be a huge load of
backtraces. Nevertheless, from user point of view asking an email address
wouldn't be as bad as having to register to a separate site before
getting/submitting the information.

>> - Data sanitation? Ubuntu doesn't reveal the crash reports per
>> default as
>> they might contain something which shouldn't be public.
> Right. But that sounds like manual work.
> But currently DrKonqi also just posts the backtrace.

True, and this really depends what kind of information is being gathered.
One thing interesting which is a bit related is that one possibility would
be to gather other information from the system (Perhaps even per app-basis?
Automatically getting information about hardware & drivers for kwin bugs, as
an example). Same applied to other apps might cause some need to sanitize
and/or let users to choose what to send.

--
Best Regards,
Teemu Rytilahti