DrKonqi improvement idea

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Mon Mar 12 10:36:29 GMT 2012

On Sunday 11 March 2012 11.26.53 Niko Sams wrote:
> I'd like to talk about an idea on how DrKonqi
[]
> What software could crashes.kde.org run? I'm not sure, maybe abugzilla
> installation or somethingcustom written. Or some other bugtracking software.

I'd say this is a great idea, mostly because it means a lot more can
be automated on lots of ends.
Naturally, the actual automation means research and development, which
means manpower.   I didn't get from your email if you wanted to
volunteer for some of this work :)

Personally I'd go for a solution that also tries to register the last
20 keystrokes and 20 mouse clicks (qt global event listener) and if
and when a crash occurs that info can be send with the backtrace.  So
even if there are no debug packages installed we get some info to do
data-mining on.

I'd also make your webpage (or site) be mostly dumb in the handling of
the data its being sent and then have a continues job on the machine
to actually process and handle these crash reports.  So if we get
loads of requests in, we just store the data to be processed when
there is CPU available.
The reason is that I think we get much more useful information out of
this if we allow it to take more time than a webrequest would allow.
And also this will make the site much more responsive and painless.
It just scales better ;)

Either case, I'd think you want something custom written. Its not too
much work to do the basics and maybe we can steal some code that
compares backtraces and steal some ideas or code for on-disk
data-store of those backtraces.

Niko, I'm wondering if you can help out with realization of your
ideas, and if you have php or perl skills for instance.
I might find some time on my hands, and it sounds like a fun (and
needed) project so I could help out.

Cheers
--
Thomas Zander