GSoC idea: Country holiday service for calendar and calendar improvements

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 15:02:00 GMT 2012

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Mark <markg85 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 9:02 AM, todd rme <toddrme2178 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 1:15 AM, Mark <markg85 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > = Current issue =
>> > The current digital clock has a calendar, but the default events are
>> > really
>> > pointless for non usa people. I see the events and i certainly don't
>> > live in
>> > the usa. So, the data in there has to be a little more focused on where
>> > the
>> > user lives. For example having the Dutch holidays in it for the Dutch
>> > users.
>> > German for... you get the idea.
>>
>> No, by default the events are from the country in system settings ->
>> locale Country/Region and Language -> Country.  So if you set Germany
>> there, you will see German holidays.
>>
> Ah right. That does make me wonder why my system thinks i'm in USA..

I don't know.  Try removing the clock applet and re-adding it.

>> > = Issues =
>> > I'm not a KDE n00b and i have no clue where the current calender events
>> > are
>> > pulled from or where i can even change them, add them or delete them.
>> > It's
>> > not visible at all. I would have expected korganizer but to my surprise
>> > that
>> > is empty. So where is is pulling the events from?
>>
>> If you want to change it to your country, just change your country in
>> the locale (you have to restart plasma for the changes to take
>> effect).  If you want something other than your locale country,
>> right-click on the clock -> Digital Clock Settings -> Calender.  There
>> you can enable or disable as many holidays as you want.
>

> I see what you mean. Sadly this functionality seems to be broken? I can't
> select/change/delete any holiday that's in there. I even turned  "display
> events" off. That results in.. events/holidays being displayed. Seems like
> the display events checkbox isn't honored.

Works for me.  I think events and holidays aren't the same thing, try
turning all the holidays off if you don't want them.

>> > = make it yourself: holidays.kde.org =
>> > No, that domain doesn't work (yet) ;)
>> > Since there is no free holiday API, but all the data is freely available
>> > on
>> > the
>> > internet http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_holidays_by_country why
>> > not make a holiday system where users can contribute the holidays. So i
>> > for
>> > example can add all the dutch holidays, someone can review and check
>> > that i
>> > didn't fill in bogus data and done. Dutch holidays are in the system.
>> > This
>> > system then needs an API (REST perhaps?) where you can request all
>> > holidays
>> > by (or a mixture of) year/country/month/day something like that. Make
>> > the
>> > web API publicly and freely available for anyone to use.
>>
>> There is already a holidays API, and people already can and do submit
>> holidays for different countries to KDE.
>

> Please do tell more.

http://www.layt.net/john/blog/odysseus/holidays_in_kde_release_46

Look at the end for info on how to get more added.

>> > = Integrate holidays.kde.org with organizer or akonadi (or nepomuk?.. i
>> > lost
>> > it) =
>> > Lets for the moment make the assumption that this data is PIM data thus
>> > akonadi is the one where this should be stored. Organizer should
>> > interface
>> > with akonadi. I could be mixing up the akonadi and nepomuk names now. If
>> > so,
>> > please do correct me. Either way, the API of holidays.kde.org should be
>> > used
>> > to fetch and store the users country holidays in his local PIM database
>> > which should show up in KOrganizer (as a seperate calendar) and that
>> > should
>> > show up in the digital clock calendar. That seems logical to me.
>>
>> Korganizer can already use the API.  Go to Settings -> Configure
>> Korganizer -> Time and Date -> Regional -> Use Holiday Region.  It
>> doesn't appear to use your country by default, though.
>

> ehh, oke. It "kinda" works but work is definitively needed to make
> KOrganizer be intuitive.

If you have a specific suggestion you can file a bug report.  However,
it is almost certainly not sufficient for a GSOC project.

-Todd