Compiler version

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Jun 28 08:37:39 BST 2012

On Thursday 28 June 2012 00:27:08 Ivan Cukic wrote:
> > Can you explain why you need a more modern version, I see a good analysis
> > of what the current situation regarding compiler availability but i fail
> > to see why we need a newer compiler.
>
> For me, the main reasons for this request are:
> - lambdas (gcc 4.5)
> - variadic templates (4.3 / 4.4)
> - auto (4.4)
> - nullptr (4.6)
> - =default, =delete (4.4)
> - explicit override (4.7)
> - unique/shared_ptr (?? works in 4.5)
>
> nullptr and override are really useful while developing, even as enabled-if-
> possible - so I can live without hard-requiring them (macro-based switch),
> but lambdas are not so easily replaceable while making the life much easier
> and a lot of methods shorter :)
how would nullptr be useful with a macro-based switch? I actually want to do a
sed s/NULL/nullptr/g on the complete code base. And I hope everyone can
understand that :-)

Other features I really want to make use of is auto and lambdas. I think both
will help to increase the readability and maintainability of the code base.

Cheers
Martin