Compiler version

Ivan Cukic ivan.cukic at kde.org
Thu Jun 28 09:14:03 BST 2012

> how would nullptr be useful with a macro-based switch? I actually want to do
> a sed s/NULL/nullptr/g on the complete code base. And I hope everyone can
> understand that :-)

Well, nullptr is a compile time check, right (like explicit override)? So, you
compile your code with a compiler that supports it, making your code safe in
that aspect, while someone could still compile the code with an older
compiler.

It doesn't help in the cases where there is an ambigous resolution int vs ptr,
but it can be done if needed. [1]

> What about freebsd? Personally I am not willing to support that platform
> anymore if it would mean that we have to restrict ourself to an outdated gcc

They are moving towards clang 3.1 for FreeBSD 10. So, I don't see them as a
problem in this case - they should become compliant in the version that will
ship 4.10.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2012-May/067486.html

Cheerio,
Ivan

[1] http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/More_C%2B%2B_Idioms/nullptr

--
While you were hanging yourself on someone else's words
Dying to believe in what you heard