Using userbase for manuals

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Sun Jul 1 08:49:11 BST 2012

On Sunday 1 July 2012 09:21:08 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El Diumenge, 1 de juliol de 2012, a les 08:02:28, Boudewijn Rempt va
escriure:
> > I'm actually not sure kde-core-devel is the right list... But the e.V.
> > mailing list certainly isn't, and we don't seem to have any place for
> > discussions that affect KDE as a whole.
> >
> > In any case, Ingo Malchow said in his blog
> > (http://blog.neverendingo.de/?p=125)
> >
> > "We have a great userbase.kde.org but developers don’t use it that much,
> > nor is there any links from applications towards Userbase."
> >
> > Well, actually we have. I replaced the offline help documentation in Krita
> > with a link to the manual on userbase. I have done this for two reasons:
> >
> > * I couldn't maintain the offline manual anyway after the change to 2.0
> > * this way the user gets sent right to the place where they can contribute
> > to the manual (and I've got users contributing to it now)
> >
> > I'm not concerned that users cannot access the help when they are
> > off-line.
> > That's a vanishingly rare situation these days
>
> I disagree, as a matter of fact, I don't have internet connection in the
> room in my hostel, so if i had a need to use krita I'd need to read its
> manual (since my painting/drawing skills are null) and i'd be not happy to
> discover I can't read the manual.

It's all very hypothetical isn't it? :-)

More seriously, I think we shouldn't loose perspective here. Yes, you're
right, it *can* happen, but Boudewijn is also right, it's becoming rare
situation.

My opinion is that I would love to go for it, and if over time that turns out
to be a problem, we could ship a dump of the relevant wiki content along the
application. It'd be used as fallback if the wiki cannot be reached online.
This way we'd still benefit from the better contribution scalability of
userbase compared to our current situation. That'd make for a more complex
solution on the client side though, that's why I wouldn't jump the gun on it
immediately.

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net