Using userbase for manuals

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sun Jul 1 09:17:21 BST 2012

El Diumenge, 1 de juliol de 2012, a les 09:49:11, Kevin Ottens va escriure:
> On Sunday 1 July 2012 09:21:08 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > El Diumenge, 1 de juliol de 2012, a les 08:02:28, Boudewijn Rempt va
>
> escriure:
> > > I'm actually not sure kde-core-devel is the right list... But the e.V.
> > > mailing list certainly isn't, and we don't seem to have any place for
> > > discussions that affect KDE as a whole.
> > >
> > > In any case, Ingo Malchow said in his blog
> > > (http://blog.neverendingo.de/?p=125)
> > >
> > > "We have a great userbase.kde.org but developers don’t use it that much,
> > > nor is there any links from applications towards Userbase."
> > >
> > > Well, actually we have. I replaced the offline help documentation in
> > > Krita
> > > with a link to the manual on userbase. I have done this for two reasons:
> > >
> > > * I couldn't maintain the offline manual anyway after the change to 2.0
> > > * this way the user gets sent right to the place where they can
> > > contribute
> > > to the manual (and I've got users contributing to it now)
> > >
> > > I'm not concerned that users cannot access the help when they are
> > > off-line.
> > > That's a vanishingly rare situation these days
> >
> > I disagree, as a matter of fact, I don't have internet connection in the
> > room in my hostel, so if i had a need to use krita I'd need to read its
> > manual (since my painting/drawing skills are null) and i'd be not happy to
> > discover I can't read the manual.
>
> It's all very hypothetical isn't it? :-)

It's hypothetical because i did not want to use krita, but yes, i do not have
internet connection in my room of the hostel. I do not have internet
connection when i'm travelling in a train, or in a plane, or ...

> More seriously, I think we shouldn't loose perspective here. Yes, you're
> right, it *can* happen, but Boudewijn is also right, it's becoming rare
> situation.

Sincerely I don't agree, having 100% internet connection each time I use my
computer is something I don't have and I do live in Europe, I can't think
what's like for someone in poorer regions.

> My opinion is that I would love to go for it, and if over time that turns
> out to be a problem, we could ship a dump of the relevant wiki content
> along the application. It'd be used as fallback if the wiki cannot be
> reached online. This way we'd still benefit from the better contribution
> scalability of userbase compared to our current situation.

And i'm going to be a pain here, but i do not agree userbase scale better
either.
Let's see Krita manual at http://userbase.kde.org/Krita it's translated to 7
languages only two of them being at 100%

Now let's see KMail manual at
http://l10n.kde.org/stats/doc/stable-kde4/po/kmail.po/
and we have 12 at 100% and a few more over 90%

Cheers,
  Albert