hard-dep for Qt 4.8

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Fri Jan 27 21:35:03 GMT 2012

> To contribute to the actual question in this thread: I'd say let's support
> both for now. And the responsibility is shared: developers should check for
> "since 4.8" tags when looking at Qt api docs, and people using 4.7 to compile
> kde must accept that they'll sometimes hit a breakage due to 4.8-only api
> being used (and then either fix it or report it). To be re-evaluated when 4.8
> is more commonly used.

+1.

My additional note is that: Qt 4.8 is most likely not going to be
available for Harmattan (unlike qt5) because of several reasons;
whereas it would be nice to get new KDE versions for our N9/N950
devices (kdelibs, plasma-components and so forth).

I would personally be a bit disappointed, if I cannot experiment with
hot features, like plasma components, on my Harmattan, if the hard
dependency is agreed upon. It is just my two cents though. :)

Best Regards,
Laszlo Papp