hard-dep for Qt 4.8

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 14:44:22 GMT 2012

Am 12.01.2012, 22:50 Uhr, schrieb Ingo Klöcker <kloecker at kde.org>:
> If you want developers to switch to Qt 4.8 to get the KDE code better
> tested with this version of Qt then simply ask developers to do so. I
> see no good reason to force developers to do so.

I tend to agree that KDE should not add hard deps for "manipulative"
reasons - that has a very ugly attitude to it.

On the other hand, Qt 4.8 - while in theory ABI stable - broke quite some
things, starting at least with the qDeleteAll incident and also including
the switch to the raster graphicssystem as a default (not to mention that
mapToGlobal() works, works not. works, works not. works, ...? ;-)

Those carries a large potential to weakly (but effectively) break (while
not guaranteed, yet implicit) ABI and therefore should be subject to
developer testing.

Does cmake allow to intercept the configuration process and force a
conditional message (like a weak configuration error) to be confirmed*  to
inform everyone about those implications and -quite intrusively- recommend
to build and test against Qt 4.8?

Cheers,
Thomas

*best with "you god damn read this for the next 30 seconds - don't just
click OK,  stupid" timeout... =P