Can we please have an updated and confirmed working "build KDE from source as separate user"?

Shaun Reich shaun.reich at kdemail.net
Sun Jan 1 23:59:22 GMT 2012

Honestly, running a separate user for it just makes everything more a
pain than it should be.The better way is to just run it under your
user but use different environment variables when you want to run
master apps. Your crash is likely caused by the fact that you
attempted to run an application (Dolphin) from master, yet it was
still using the $QTDIR from /usr/.., in other words probably too old.

I just have a command, "runmaster" which switches the current shell to
one that has all the environment vars setup to run a compiled
application. This way I can have a stable desktop, and run and test
things from master manually and whenever I want to.

Actually, yes, I see that your QTDIR is pointing to /usr. That is
incorrect for building from source.

Truly, I recommend not going the separate user route, that's sort of
why it's not well documented. Mostly because it shouldn't be used..in
fact, I even added it somewhere a long time ago saying that other
methods are better than a separate user (no idea if it's there or not,
some people go too crazy on wiki edits and don't preserve enough past
info).

--
Shaun Reich,
KDE Software Developer (kde.org)