bugzilla situation

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Fri Feb 24 18:31:46 GMT 2012

On Friday, February 24, 2012 06:51:11 PM Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> -> first level support
>
> issues are not opened on the bug tracker but in a user support management
> system - e.g. forums.kde.org. Only if the supporters figure out that there
> is  a real bug, they will open a bug report. This is high filtered, all the
> information present.

Fair enough, good solution, but with an "if". If you have a team who does the
filtering. If you don't have, you did nothing. Also this can be done just as
fine in bugzilla, no need for a forum or else, by using a state for the bug
("checked", "confirmed", "new" whatever) and the developer can look only to the
filtered list.
 But you must have people to do it. If your project doesn't have them,
restricting reporting will not help at all. And then the developers are in
first line. And this is true for many parts of KDE, as big teams - especially
mixed developer and support persons - are not that common at all.
 What we need is people, but unfortunately this kind of task doesn't really
attract contributors.

Andras