bugzilla situation

Trever Fischer tdfischer at fedoraproject.org
Thu Feb 23 22:39:12 GMT 2012

On Thursday, February 23, 2012 11:57:16 AM David Edmundson wrote:
> > First of all, the bugzilla is supposed to be a communication tool between
> > the user and the developer.
>
> Or is it?
>
> If I understand Martin correctly, he wants bugzilla to be "a list of
> things broken in my app", not a communication tool for every user who
> wants to say something.
>
> In KDE Telepathy we use bugzilla as a glorified TODO list which I
> consult every time I need to check what I should spend my evening
> doing. I personally am perfectly happy with users posting bugs we need
> to fix, but get really annoyed at users posting completely mental
> wishlist ideas without any sort of prior communication first or
> filtering process. So our bugzilla is full of entries that we, as a
> team, haven't agreed on implementing, rendering it extremely annoying
> for our purposes.
>
> I don't think this discussion of "how bugzilla should operate" can
> really get anywhere until there's a consensus of "what is bugzilla
> actually for?" as there are a range of different views.
>
> I think each of the use cases of bugzilla needs to be addressed in
> turn, identifying whether bugzilla is in fact the right place for that
> task.

Random, possibly entirely unhelpful suggestion: Perhaps using our redmine
install of projects.kde.org for this kind of task tracking? I'd love to see
p.k.o be used as something more of a central place for devs to get together
and collaborate. I keep track of all my phonon tasks in my head or
community.kde.org, which is terribly inefficient. Yet, I feel it is better
suited than bugzilla.

--
Trever Fischer (tdfischer)
Fedora Ambassador, KDE Hacker