Color Managing KDE

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Wed Feb 22 21:03:34 GMT 2012

Am 22.02.2012 20:01, schrieb Kai-Uwe Behrmann:
> Am 22.02.12, 09:38 -0800 schrieb Daniel Nicoletti:
>> As Richard said Oyranos is doing all this by it self on the CPU so
>> it
>> would act like a proxy between your application,
>> and the window manager which sounds like killing performance.
>> ( I might have misunderstood but I can't see any other way of doing
>> this)
>
> Proxy are configurable by applications as usual.
> Oyranos is used inside a Compiz plugin as the actual only desktop
> colour server.
> That does very power efficient and fast colour correction on the GPU
> through GL shaders. Users can watch colour corrected animations,
> movies and 3D scenes full screen with that.
Just a short reminder that Compiz is no solution for the KDE Plasma
Workspaces, as

a) our solution for window and compositing is KWin
b) using Compiz means loss in core functionality provided by the KDE
Plasma Workspaces
c) to my knowledge the plugin does not work with recent versions of
Compiz (aka Compiz++, Compiz 0.9)
d) distributions are starting to drop Compiz
e) Compiz development has been adjusted to only suit the Unity desktop
and has been proclaimed as dead on the Internet

adding support to that in KWin should be fairly easy though I have no
clue about it and also no time for it.

Cheers
Martin