[RFC] Merging LightDM into KDE Workspaces (forwarded from plasma-devel)

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Thu Aug 23 14:14:17 BST 2012

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 2:04 PM, Thomas Lübking
<thomas.luebking at gmail.com> wrote:
> Am 22.08.2012, 14:58 Uhr, schrieb David Edmundson
> <david at davidedmundson.co.uk>:
>
> Sorry, this is certainly too much in details, but what is that
>

>> Features LightDM-KDE has that KDM does not:
>>  - Guest support login
>

> supposed to be?
>
> I mean, either there's a guest account on the machine or there's not.
> If you intend to sell a DM which runtime injects accounts or so, you just
> lost a customer ;-P

It "injects" accounts. The part that does this is mostly in the
downstream packaging. Also you can uncheck the box "allow guest" in
the GUI :)
I don't /think/ it's on by default in our code, but Ubuntu packaging
turns it on.

>>  - Ability to make customisations such as changing the background
>> without having to edit XML
>
> I read that in the linked description ("had to edit xml as root") - leaving
> alone that one could theoretically use a 660 symlink to a wallpaper:

You can't really do that, next package upgrade would overwrite it.
Either way, it's meddling in a terminal and I don't like that for
something trivial.

> Is it intended to grant users to alter the greeter appearance w/o any
> credentials like polkit etc. in the middle?
>
> I'd preferably not see any user even alter the wallpaper w/o appropriate
> privileges - let alone any QML logics.

No, it uses Polkit in the middle. You still get prompted for a
password, and need the right privs.
You can't edit QML logics in the GUI, that would be a bit weird.

Dave