[RFC] Merging LightDM into KDE Workspaces (forwarded from plasma-devel)

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 14:04:51 BST 2012

Am 22.08.2012, 14:58 Uhr, schrieb David Edmundson
<david at davidedmundson.co.uk>:

Sorry, this is certainly too much in details, but what is that

> Features LightDM-KDE has that KDM does not:
>  - Guest support login

supposed to be?

I mean, either there's a guest account on the machine or there's not.
If you intend to sell a DM which runtime injects accounts or so, you just
lost a customer ;-P

>  - Ability to make customisations such as changing the background
> without having to edit XML
I read that in the linked description ("had to edit xml as root") -
leaving alone that one could theoretically use a 660 symlink to a
wallpaper:
How deep does that "user" control go?
Is it intended to grant users to alter the greeter appearance w/o any
credentials like polkit etc. in the middle?

I'd preferably not see any user even alter the wallpaper w/o appropriate
privileges - let alone any QML logics.
(whether a permitted user can ultimately click click edit the appearance
 from a GUI, i don't care ;-)

Cheers,
Thomas