[RFC] Merging LightDM into KDE Workspaces (forwarded from plasma-devel)

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Thu Aug 23 11:17:25 BST 2012

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 8:41 AM, Andras Mantia <amantia at kde.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 22, 2012 01:58:57 PM David Edmundson wrote:
>>  - a big refactor (see branch "big_refactor")
>
> Without going into other details: what would be the reason to merge LightDM
> *now*, if you have a big refactoring undergoing?

Good question.

I wasn't really planning on merging *now*, I wanted to get the ball
rolling on proposing it for merging and find out if there's anything
big and  important that needs to happen before a merge proposal can
start. (such as write end user documentation).

The topic of display managers came up a year ago (I can't find the
thread now) on the plasma ML, and when someone mentioned my project it
was met with a very negative response, mostly people claiming that KDM
would be fixed and my project would burn out. I was expecting more of
the same, however this time after an extra year of maturity the
response there has been particularly positive, so things went better
and moved quicker than I expected.

Before I do the actual merge I'll go through a normal review
procedure, and that refactor branch will be merged before then.

Dave