[proposal] Move all of the ksecretsservice components into kdeutils/ksecrets

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Nov 12 07:12:27 GMT 2011

Valentin Rusu wrote:
> As you may already know, the ksecretsservice API merging to the
> kdelibs/4.7 branch was no longer an acceptable solution because of
> recent frameworks related decisions. It was suggested to put it into
> it's separate repository, alongside with the
> kde-runtime/ksecretsserviced I also merged yesterday.
>
> After thinking twice, I'd like to bring these components into the
> kdeutils/ksecrets repository.
> Are you ok with this?
>
> A possible issue if that's ok for you: the kdeutils/kwallet will depend
> on this repository and it contains guard code to exclude
> ksecretsservice-related code if qca not found - that will be extended to
> the case ksecrets repository will not be found. This raises the problem
> of module dependencies: kdelibs needs to be built first, but if ksecrets
> was not compiled first, the required headers will not be there and as
> such kwallet will not have the ksecretsservice-related code.
> That looks like a circular reference :-) I'll discuss this on the next
> frameworks irc meeting or maybe a solution for this kind of situation
> already exists?

All this stuff is going to make things much more work for us packagers (just
like the separate kactivities), for no good reason other than some arbitrary
"we froze kdelibs" decision!

Circular dependencies are an absolute PITA for packaging.

We definitely do want your ksecretsservice work ASAP and I don't see why it
can't be in kdelibs where it belongs.

        Kevin Kofler