Objections to stop creating nightly tarballs from svn?

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Sun May 22 00:23:49 BST 2011

On Friday, May 20, 2011 23:28:07 Tom Albers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As known, sysadmin is trying to transfer services away from ktown. One of
> the current tasks of ktown is to provide nightly snapshots of svn to this
> location:
>
> ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/unstable/snapshots/
>
> We are wondering if it is worth to move this service or to stop it.
> Arguments to stop it are: 1) needs svn checkout on the replacement server
> and 2) less and less usage of it as svn is 'old' technology.
>
> The only user we know of these snapshots is kdesrc-build, and I'm pretty
> sure that app will cope fine without the tarballs. If there are other
> users, we would like to know.

Based on the wind-down of the Subversion source repository I have been
thinking of removing this feature from kdesrc-build anyways. The main reason I
had added it in the first place was to reduce the load on the Subversion
servers from people using kdesrc-build to make automated checkouts, so kdesrc-
build will follow whatever the sysadmins desire in this regard.

> Does anyone feel this service should remain? If so, that's fine, but we just
> need some arguments for it.
>
> projects.kde.org does create tarballs for the git repo's and will continue
> to do so. This is only about the svn counterpart.

Perhaps this is ironic, but kdesrc-build does *not* at this point support
snapshots for git modules (even hosted on git.kde.org) because I assume (and
this is just my assumption) that the cost of generating the snapshot would be
a net loss for the git.kde.org server.

Just let me know what is desired either way and kdesrc-build will support.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne