Objections to stop creating nightly tarballs from svn?

Tom Albers toma at kde.org
Sat May 21 00:28:07 BST 2011

Hi,

As known, sysadmin is trying to transfer services away from ktown. One of the current tasks of ktown is to provide nightly snapshots of svn to this location:

ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/unstable/snapshots/

We are wondering if it is worth to move this service or to stop it. Arguments to stop it are: 1) needs svn checkout on the replacement server and 2) less and less usage of it as svn is 'old' technology.

The only user we know of these snapshots is kdesrc-build, and I'm pretty sure that app will cope fine without the tarballs. If there are other users, we would like to know.

Does anyone feel this service should remain? If so, that's fine, but we just need some arguments for it.

projects.kde.org does create tarballs for the git repo's and will continue to do so. This is only about the svn counterpart.

Best,
--
Tom Albers
KDE Sysadmin