Git Worflow, branch creation.

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Thu May 19 21:09:21 BST 2011

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 4:48 AM, Stephen Kelly <steveire at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ben Cooksley wrote:
>
>> Doesn't apply to KDE repositories, as performing a rebase involves a
>> force push, which initiates the damage prevention area of our hooks.
>> This triggers creation of a "backup ref" protecting the contents of
>> the old ref from being affected by a gc, and ensures they are always
>> reachable.
>> It is a protective measure to guard against malicious force pushes or
>> branch deletions. (Note that git doesn't fetch backup refs normally)
>
> This is interesting. Has this always been the case? I don't remember this
> coming up in previous discussions about rebases and force pushes. Can this
> feature be limited to release branches (master, x.y.z), just out of
> curiosity?

Ever since we got the new hooks. The backups don't affect developers
as such, it only causes an increase of the repository size on the
server. Git doesn't retrieve the contents of backup refs by default.

It needs to run on all branches/tags/refs to ensure that abuse is prevented.

The more developer focused side of repo growth with rebasing usually
occurs when a branch is rebased on top of another branch - and the
original isn't deleted. Therefore everyone ends up downloading those
commits effectively twice.

Regards,
Ben