Git Worflow, branch creation.

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Thu May 19 09:05:27 BST 2011

On Thursday 19 May 2011 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Git/Feature_Development_Workf
> low

Wow. This is a pretty complex workflow, and it's breaking with quite some
practices KDE used to use for a very long time. We have to make sure that we
don't leave developers behind with such a drastic change.

The approach of having one central repository and all committers being equal
has served us well. Maybe it's time to move forward to a different model, but
I think this should be done with care, and without changing more than needed.
A lot of this is about semantics and how to name things, not necessarily about
technical processes. For example, if master is the stable branch or a release
branch doesn't make a big difference technically, but it might affect our
development culture quite a bit.

This needs to be discussed. I'm looking forward to the upcoming face-to-face
meetings, but we should also have a wider discussion, as this is affecting
many more people than those who will have the opportunity to be at these
meetings.