Git Worflow, branch creation.

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu May 19 09:11:04 BST 2011

On Thursday 19 May 2011 May, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Thursday 19 May 2011 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> >
> > http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Git/Feature_Development_Workf
> > low
>
> Wow. This is a pretty complex workflow, and it's breaking with quite some
> practices KDE used to use for a very long time. We have to make sure that we
> don't leave developers behind with such a drastic change.
>
> The approach of having one central repository and all committers being equal
> has served us well. Maybe it's time to move forward to a different model, but
> I think this should be done with care, and without changing more than needed.
> A lot of this is about semantics and how to name things, not necessarily about
> technical processes. For example, if master is the stable branch or a release
> branch doesn't make a big difference technically, but it might affect our
> development culture quite a bit.
>
> This needs to be discussed. I'm looking forward to the upcoming face-to-face
> meetings, but we should also have a wider discussion, as this is affecting
> many more people than those who will have the opportunity to be at these
> meetings.

In Calligra, we sort of discussed that we might call the staging branch where everyone can commit "master", and that we'll try to get an automated system to copy commits that didn't break unittests to the release branch, which only the automated system can commit to. That keeps everyone in the loop on "master", at the expense of having a release branch that nobody really runs. We're not there yet, obviously :-)

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.valdyas.org, http://www.krita.org