Qt5 -> KDE5?

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon May 9 18:14:09 BST 2011

On Monday 09 May 2011 12:27:14 Maksim Orlovich wrote:
> I am probably being a bit selfish here, but I don't see how we can
> ever build on a toolkit that requires OpenGL ES2.0 level hardware.
I think it would make sense to have at least optionally the legacy code (QWidget + X11)
without an OpenGL ES requirement. For QML2 and QWidget on Wayland the GLES
requirement makes sense.
> That would leave many machines that currently run KDE4 solidly (e.g.
> my laptop) unable to run KDE5 for no good reason. I doubt it's the
> only one out there with a laptop with decent CPU and memory specs and
> lousy graphics card.
It's not only leaving quite some hardware behind, it's also that I doubt that the free driver
stack will be anywhere close to the maturity required for all applications using OpenGL. If I
consider the trouble we have with just one application defaulting to OpenGL...

Cheers
Martin