OpenPrinting Summit - Print Dialog and Colour Management

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 17 11:11:40 GMT 2011

On Thursday 17 Mar 2011 06:30:50 Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> Am 17.03.11, 00:27 +0100 schrieb Christoph Feck:
> > Kai-Uwe Behrmann (maintainer of KDE color management applications) can
> > help you here. Grab him on http://www.oyranos.org/ and make sure he
> > attends the meeting ;)
>
> It would be really cool to have joined you to talk about colour
> management with KDE. However I am very likely to be swamped with work
> during this time.
>
> With the help of OpenICC[1] some work has been done inside the Oyranos
> project about printing. The Kolor Manager configuration panel[2] shows
> some of these. It would be cool for CPD to deploy Oyranos device ICC
> profile configuration to create a good user experience. I am about
> preparing some schematic diagrams, which can give some condensed input
> from the latest OpenICC discussions around linux colour managed printing.

Hi Kai,

It's great to know we have someone working on this, it's a shame I didn't know
earlier when first discussing attending the summit with the OpenPrinting guys,
it would have been great to have someone there who knows what they are talking
about :-)

I guess I have a lot of reading to catch up on to understand how this all
works and hangs together, then hopefully I can make some meaningful comments
at the summit on what KDE would like to see happen.

Something I think I'll need to understand is why the CPD (or any print dialog)
would need to have direct support for different colour management systems
(Oyranos, colord), is there a way to abstract it via a common standard?

Thanks for your work!

John.