OpenPrinting Summit - Print Dialog and Colour Management

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Thu Mar 17 11:36:08 GMT 2011

Am 17.03.2011 12:11, schrieb John Layt:
> On Thursday 17 Mar 2011 06:30:50 Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
>> Am 17.03.11, 00:27 +0100 schrieb Christoph Feck:
>>> Kai-Uwe Behrmann (maintainer of KDE color management applications) can
>>> help you here. Grab him on http://www.oyranos.org/ and make sure he
>>> attends the meeting ;)
>> It would be really cool to have joined you to talk about colour
>> management with KDE. However I am very likely to be swamped with work
>> during this time.
>>
>> With the help of OpenICC[1] some work has been done inside the Oyranos
>> project about printing. The Kolor Manager configuration panel[2] shows
>> some of these. It would be cool for CPD to deploy Oyranos device ICC
>> profile configuration to create a good user experience. I am about
>> preparing some schematic diagrams, which can give some condensed input
>> from the latest OpenICC discussions around linux colour managed printing.

> It's great to know we have someone working on this, it's a shame I didn't know
>

>> Thanks for your work!
>>
>> John.
>>
> earlier when first discussing attending the summit with the OpenPrinting guys,
> it would have been great to have someone there who knows what they are talking
> about :-)

I hope Hal V. Engel from OpenICC, who comes with many experience in
printing, will join the OpenPrinting meetings. He lives only some miles
away from the location.

> I guess I have a lot of reading to catch up on to understand how this all
> works and hangs together, then hopefully I can make some meaningful comments
> at the summit on what KDE would like to see happen.
>
> Something I think I'll need to understand is why the CPD (or any print dialog)
> would need to have direct support for different colour management systems
> (Oyranos, colord), is there a way to abstract it via a common standard?

We think already since quite some time how to converge for CMS settings.
Graeme Gill, the author of a pre dominant cross platform CMS, has
signaled high interesst for ArgyllCMS in such a standard, and we both
agreed to give that some meaning during this year. We feel settings in
one UI should not get irrational lost after switching to an other
standard supporting CMS.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe