Future of KSysguard - removing remote monitoring

John Tapsell johnflux at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 14:15:33 GMT 2011

Hi all,

  For the past 13 years or so, ksysguard has been in KDE under various
names.  Right from the beginning it was designed to monitor remote
systems as well as local ones.

  To monitor remote systems, it can connect to a remote machine via
rsh, ssh, etc, and communicate via a very simple plain text protocol.

  However over the years this design has slowly strangled future
development, and has scared off several contributors.  People have a
great idea and want to add it, then as I start to explain how they
need to implement it, their eyes get wider as they start to back away
slowly.

  So unless anyone can talk me out of it now, I am going to remove the
ability to monitor remote hosts entirely, and to use one of the many
excellent cross-platform debugged libraries that already exist to
gather system information.

John