KDE git workflow

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 9 17:56:54 BST 2011

On Thursday 09 Jun 2011 17:34:57 Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Thursday 09 June 2011 Torgny Nyblom wrote:
> > This part I fully agree with, however later in the example section it
> > seems like rebasing should be done prior to review. Is the examples
> > correct?
>
> The examples need some reality check, ideally with detailed actual git
> commands. In general it's a good idea to rebase local branches, before you
> show them to others. How this will actually look like in terms of actual
> commands we still have to determine, especially also with regards to the
> review tool we'll use. For the current ReviewBoard based process we can
> probably do that now. Any takers for augmenting the examples with
> step-by-step instructions from the real world?

At Platform 11 I started a couple of detailed step-by-steps for new Git users
which I'll try publish tomorrow.  One workflow was a straight svn like process
in master designed to be used for the first week or two of git use while they
learn the basic commands, after which the dev would move onto the feature
branch workflow.  Besides the inconsistency that Torgey also found, the one
part of the command flow I'm wondering about is whether for the simple
workflow we tell them to push or merge their commits into master?

John.