KDE git workflow

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Thu Jun 9 22:32:57 BST 2011

On Thursday 09 June 2011 John Layt wrote:

> Besides the inconsistency that
> Torgey also found, the one part of the command flow I'm wondering about is
> whether for the simple workflow we tell them to push or merge their
> commits into master?

If it's a local branch, rebase the branch, merge it to master, and then push
it. This will give linear history. It should be equivalent to working in
master, rebasing on pull and just pushing, but it's cleaner and safer to do
the development in a branch.

If it's a remote branch, just merge it and push it.

In general it's a good idea to do a "git pull --rebase", when pulling as this
doesn't create merge commits with local changes, which can clutter up the
history.