Master or 4.7 under VirtualBox/KVM

Michael Jansen kde at michael-jansen.biz
Sun Jul 31 19:01:34 BST 2011

On Sunday 31 July 2011 14:33:11 Thomas Lübking wrote:
> Am Sun, 31 Jul 2011 13:49:44 +0200
>
> schrieb Michael Jansen <kde at michael-jansen.biz>:
> > Failsafe did not change anything. Same result.
> >
> > I btw. suspect compositing too. How can i make sure compositing is
> > disabled before logging in? Or was failsafe enough?
>
> "kwriteconfig --file kwinrc --group Compositing --key Enabled false",
> but failsafe should be enough.
> (inb4 complaints: there's still a GUI config for this)

I know. It was kinda impossible to get there :)) . The failsafe session btw
did not disable compositing (for me). I understand failsafe session as
selecting fail-safe from the boot menu btw . Just in case.

> Can you check xrestop* before X11 ate all your memory (and the system is
> irresponsive resp. the pid killed by the kernel)

xrestop did not show anything useful. I was able to start it through the
Autostart feature and "konsole -e xrestop".

I could find out nothing about what it is that piles up in x11. I tried to
valgrind x11 but i totally failed doing that. X11 startet but when i tried to
put a kde session into the x server nothing happened. Someone experience doing
that? Those test btw where done with VirtualBox. I could give kvm a try too.

> Otherwise i guess you'll have to bisect things (ie. start only kwin, or
> only plasma-desktop etc. from a failsafe session, ie. an xterm)

> Also check the graphicssystem, "export QT_GRAPHICSSYSTEM raster" or
> "native", rather not "opengl"

Will try that.