Master or 4.7 under VirtualBox/KVM

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 13:33:11 BST 2011

Am Sun, 31 Jul 2011 13:49:44 +0200
schrieb Michael Jansen <kde at michael-jansen.biz>:

> Failsafe did not change anything. Same result.
>
> I btw. suspect compositing too. How can i make sure compositing is
> disabled before logging in? Or was failsafe enough?

"kwriteconfig --file kwinrc --group Compositing --key Enabled false",
but failsafe should be enough.
(inb4 complaints: there's still a GUI config for this)

Can you check xrestop* before X11 ate all your memory (and the system is
irresponsive resp. the pid killed by the kernel)

Otherwise i guess you'll have to bisect things (ie. start only kwin, or
only plasma-desktop etc. from a failsafe session, ie. an xterm)

Also check the graphicssystem, "export QT_GRAPHICSSYSTEM raster" or
"native", rather not "opengl"

* X-res-top, no re-stopping involved ;-)
You may have to run it from VT1 (in order to prevent X11 from sucking
RAM) "xrestop -display :0"

Cheers,
Thomas