Formal complaint concerning the use of the name "System Settings" by GNOME

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Jul 26 13:56:52 BST 2011

On Monday, 2011-07-25, Ben Cooksley wrote:

> >> They will. As an example, KMyMoney users for instance depend on System
> >> Settings to be able to set their locale, and therefore the default
> >> currency, date format, etc.
> >
> > In that case KMyMoney has to depend on systemsettings and has to become a
> > workspace application which I think the workspace coordinators will
> > rightfully refuse. If this is a must have configuration for KMyMoney it
> > has to add the KCM to its own configuration options. In comparison you
> > are also able to configure Phonon from within Amarok.
> >
> > If you think that systemsettings is a required runtime dependency for
> > other applications, then systemmsettings should move from kde-workspace
> > to kde-runtime.
>
> I didn't choose it to be a runtime dependency. Ideally it wouldn't
> have to be. It became a "defacto" requirement as applications for KDE
> are usually developed under KDE, therefore developers don't know to
> add all the needed panels to their application.

While it is true that KDE application developers are usually not concerned
about which panels of system settings control infrastructure behavior they are
using, adding the panels to the applications is IMHO not always the correct
approach.

On the example of user default locale, there is almost certainly some way of
configuring that with the running workspace's tools, i.e. always configured
outside the apps for all apps.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring