Formal complaint concerning the use of the name "System Settings" by GNOME

Alvaro Soliverez asoliverez at kde.org
Mon Jul 25 10:53:28 BST 2011

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 1:36 AM, Martin Gräßlin <mgraesslin at kde.org> wrote:

>> > I really doubt anyone is going to 'suffer'... This NamingClashCrisis is more
>>
>> They will. As an example, KMyMoney users for instance depend on System
>> Settings to be able to set their locale, and therefore the default
>> currency, date format, etc.
> In that case KMyMoney has to depend on systemsettings and has to become a workspace
> application which I think the workspace coordinators will rightfully refuse. If this is a must have
> configuration for KMyMoney it has to add the KCM to its own configuration options. In
> comparison you are also able to configure Phonon from within Amarok.

Be senseful, please. Any application that depends on locale settings
needs a way to set that correctly.

I can tell the user to open a terminal, run kcmshell4 somethings, and
make the required change. Or, I can tell to open Systemsettings,
 and adjust locale settings.

BTW, this is a very common support situation, and personally, I will
very deeply hate the person responsible for making it even more
difficult to support my users under a different, which we do have, and
a lot of them.

So, it's not a matter that there is an alternative way to do it. It's
the matter that so far, it was very easy to point them to a solution,
and now it's not.

And existing solution on forums and otherwise, now won't work.

And all that just because they chose a name that has been in use for
over 4 years by their closest partner.

So, as an application developer, you can bikeshed all you want, but at
the end of the day, Gnome devs have made my life more difficult.

Regards,
Alvaro

KMyMoney development team