Formal complaint concerning the use of the name "System Settings" by GNOME

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Mon Jul 25 05:43:58 BST 2011

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 4:36 PM, Martin Gräßlin <mgraesslin at kde.org> wrote:

>> > I really doubt anyone is going to 'suffer'... This NamingClashCrisis is more
>>
>> They will. As an example, KMyMoney users for instance depend on System
>> Settings to be able to set their locale, and therefore the default
>> currency, date format, etc.
> In that case KMyMoney has to depend on systemsettings and has to become a workspace
> application which I think the workspace coordinators will rightfully refuse. If this is a must have
> configuration for KMyMoney it has to add the KCM to its own configuration options. In
> comparison you are also able to configure Phonon from within Amarok.
>
> If you think that systemsettings is a required runtime dependency for other applications, then
> systemmsettings should move from kde-workspace to kde-runtime.

I didn't choose it to be a runtime dependency. Ideally it wouldn't
have to be. It became a "defacto" requirement as applications for KDE
are usually developed under KDE, therefore developers don't know to
add all the needed panels to their application.

Whilst the panels themselves are mostly part of runtime - many users
aren't capable of using kcmshell4 - so need to use System Settings.

Regards,
Ben