Formal complaint concerning the use of the name "System Settings" by GNOME

Ryan Rix ry at n.rix.si
Tue Jul 26 01:38:11 BST 2011

On Mon 25 July 2011 06:53:28 Alvaro Soliverez wrote:

> >> They will. As an example, KMyMoney users for instance depend on System
> >> Settings to be able to set their locale, and therefore the default
> >> currency, date format, etc.
> >
> > In that case KMyMoney has to depend on systemsettings and has to become
> > a workspace application which I think the workspace coordinators will
> > rightfully refuse. If this is a must have configuration for KMyMoney it
> > has to add the KCM to its own configuration options. In comparison you
> > are also able to configure Phonon from within Amarok.
> Be senseful, please. Any application that depends on locale settings
> needs a way to set that correctly.
>
> I can tell the user to open a terminal, run kcmshell4 somethings, and
> make the required change. Or, I can tell to open Systemsettings,
>  and adjust locale settings.

Or you could embed the locale settings KCM in the KMyMoney settings dialogs.
KCMs are nice for a reason, and that reason is integration.

So that IMPROVES your user experience, because instead of having to open some
OTHER application, you tell them to open the KMyMoney configuration dialogs.

--
Ryan Rix -- http://rix.si
== OpenSource.com: Where Open Source Happens! ==