Formal complaint concerning the use of the name "System Settings" by GNOME

Alvaro Soliverez asoliverez at kde.org
Tue Jul 26 02:01:48 BST 2011

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 9:38 PM, Ryan Rix <ry at n.rix.si> wrote:
> On Mon 25 July 2011 06:53:28 Alvaro Soliverez wrote:

>> > In that case KMyMoney has to depend on systemsettings and has to become
>> > a workspace application which I think the workspace coordinators will
>> > rightfully refuse. If this is a must have configuration for KMyMoney it
>> > has to add the KCM to its own configuration options. In comparison you
>> > are also able to configure Phonon from within Amarok.
>> Be senseful, please. Any application that depends on locale settings
>> needs a way to set that correctly.
>>
>> I can tell the user to open a terminal, run kcmshell4 somethings, and
>> make the required change. Or, I can tell to open Systemsettings,
>>  and adjust locale settings.
>
> Or you could embed the locale settings KCM in the KMyMoney settings dialogs.
> KCMs are nice for a reason, and that reason is integration.
>
> So that IMPROVES your user experience, because instead of having to open some
> OTHER application, you tell them to open the KMyMoney configuration dialogs.

Ryan, I appreciate the effort to see the glass half full, and we'll
probably go that way in the end.

The little unimportant thing is that we are in the final days for a
release in the first days of August. Like everyone else, this has hit
us unexpectedly and late in the release cycle.

We'll live through it, but I don't like this "KDE apps in Gnome should
behave", but Gnome feels no obligation to behave with us.

I look forward to a nice long-term solution, and we'll manage to find
a short-term one, but me not happy.

Regards,
Alvaro