Formal complaint concerning the use of the name "System Settings"

Arne Babenhauserheide arne_bab at web.de
Sun Jul 24 11:27:31 BST 2011

…
> TLDR:
> For this release: GNOME back off
> For the next release: KDE and GNOME unify your settings infrastructure
> and pick non-generic names for your apps.

Why can’t the Gnome System Settings simply be shown in KDE as “Gnome Systemsettings” and in KDE as “Systemsettings” - and the same the other way round.

Put the other desktop as brand before the name; that even scales to an unlimited number of desktops using generic names, and I can tell new users, who are trying this “Linux-thing” for the first time to just open Systemsettings, without having to ask first, if they use Gnome, KDE or <other desktop of choice>.

Generic names are good: they facilitate desktop switching and cross-desktop support. And a prefix for non-native applications in case of name clashes should not be too hard.

Best wishes,
Arne